Back, Neck & Spine
Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Musante is currently President of the Triangle Region of EmergeOrtho and has served as the Medical Director of the NC Specialty Hospital in Durham, NC since 2016. Prior to that, he served as President of the NC Specialty Hospital Medical Staff.
Following graduation from the University of Virginia School of Engineering with Distinction and the University of Virginia School of Medicine, he trained in neurological surgery at the University of Washington in Seattle and in orthopedic surgery at Duke University Medical Center. He then obtained additional fellowship training in spinal surgery at the Texas Back Institute in Plano, Texas. Raised in Durham and Chapel Hill since childhood, Dr. Musante was happy to return to the Triangle to join EmergeOrtho (formerly Triangle Orthopedic Associates) in 2005.
Dr. Musante has been board certified by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery since 2007. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons and member of the North American Spine Society, the International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery, the North Carolina Spine Association, the North Carolina Medical Society, and the Durham-Orange County Medical Society.
He has received extensive regional recognition as one of Vitals.com’s Top 10 Doctors in orthopedic surgery for the state of North Carolina and was also honored with the Vitals.com Patients’ Choice Award every year since 2011.
Dr. Musante devotes his practice to the treatment of a wide range of spinal problems including degenerative cervical and lumbar disorders, disc herniation, stenosis, deformity, scoliosis, and trauma. He holds a special interest and expertise in minimally invasive spinal surgery and artificial cervical and lumbar disc replacement surgery. Dr. Musante serves as Director of the Clinical Research Program and for over 15 years as an Investigator in FDA clinical trials on disc replacement and numerous other spinal treatments.
- Undergraduate Education: University of Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Medical School: University of Virginia School of Medicine
- General Surgery Intern: University of Washington School of Medicine
- Neurological Surgery Resident, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery Resident, Duke University School of Medicine
- Orthopedic Surgery Chief Resident, Duke University School of Medicine
- Fellowship: Spine Fellowship Texas Back Institute, Plano, Texas
- Vitals Patients’ Choice 5th Anniversary Award (2015)
- Vitals Patients’ Choice Award (2011 – 2015)
- Vitals Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2012 – 2015)
- Vitals Top 10 Doctor – Orthopedic Surgeon – North Carolina (2014)
- Vitals Top 10 Doctor – Orthopedic Surgeon – Metro Area – Raleigh (2014)
- Vitals Top 10 Doctor – Orthopedic Surgeon – City – Raleigh (2014)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- North American Spine Society
- International Society for the Advancement of Spine Surgery
- North Carolina Spine Association
- North Carolina Medical Society
- Durham-Orange County Medical Society
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery