Board Certified in Orthopedic Sports Medicine and General Orthopedics
Dr. Silver graduated from Duke University and received his medical degree from Wake Forest University. He completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at Duke University where he served as an assistant team physician for Duke University and North Carolina Central University athletes. He then did a sports medicine fellowship at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Dr. Silver is one of the team physicians for the Durham Bulls. He is a founding member of the CASL (Raleigh’s Capital Area Soccer League) Sports Medicine Society. He has served as an orthopedic consultant to the PGA, LPGA, and Champion’s Tours and is Titleist Performance Institute certified. In the past, he has served as the medical director for the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach, VA and as a team physician for Durham School of the Arts (Durham, NC), Athens Drive High School (Cary, NC), the Norfolk Tides Minor League Baseball team, and Old Dominion University.
He holds a subspecialty certificate in orthopedic sports medicine as well as general orthopedics. He specializes in the treatment of the shoulder (common procedures include primary and reverse shoulder replacements, fracture care, repair after dislocations, and rotator cuff repair) and knee (common procedures include arthroscopy, meniscus repair, and ACL reconstruction). His goal is to return his patients to their pre-injury level of activity and to enable athletes and non-athletes to reach their full physical capabilities.
In the community, Dr. Silver has served on the Blue Cross Blue Shield-North Carolina Physician’s Advisory Group, as president of Durham/Orange County Medical Society, and as the treasurer of the NC Orthopedic Association’s PAC. He is a member of the North Carolina Medical Society and a graduate of the NCMS’s Leadership College. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, and Piedmont Orthopedic Society. At EmergeOrtho, Dr. Silver has served as the Secretary/Treasurer, and he is currently the Medical Director for the Triangle Division and on the Executive Committee. He was born in Durham and raised in Columbia, MO.
- Undergraduate: Duke University
- Medical School: Wake Forest University School of Medicine
- Residency: Duke University Medical Center
- Fellowship: University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Sports Medicine
- Piedmont Orthopedic Society
- Durham-Orange County Medical Society -President-Elect, assume presidency 1/2015 (elected position) -also Board Member
- AOSSM (American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine) -Council of Delegates (North Carolina representative) (elected position)
- North Carolina Orthopedic Association -Treasurer – Political Action Committee
- Blue Cross / Blue Shield of North Carolina -Physician Advisory Group Member
- Athena Healthcare -Physician Advisory Board
- North Carolina Medical Society -Nominating Committee (review and propose applicants for leadership positions in Medical Society)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons -Speaker, Practice Management Course (topic: Meaningful Use)
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery