Dr. Thomas Scarritt joined the EmergeOrtho—Triangle Region in 2020, serving the Brier Creek, Raleigh, and Smithfield locations. As a board-eligible, fellowship-trained general surgeon, Dr. Scarritt specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of abdominal, gastrointestinal (GI), and hernia conditions and diseases. His extensive knowledge and training in minimally-invasive surgical procedures enable Dr. Scarritt to provide patients with comprehensive, patient-centered care.
Education and Expertise
Dr. Scarritt earned an undergraduate degree from Georgetown University before returning to his home state of Alabama to earn a medical degree at the University of South Alabama. He then moved to the Triangle, where he completed his residency in general surgery at the University of North Carolina. After residency, he completed a Fellowship in Minimally-Invasive Surgery at the University of Arizona.
Dr. Scarritt has experience treating abdominal, gastrointestinal(GI), and hernia illnesses and conditions, which include:
- Diseases of the esophagus, stomach, gallbladder, small bowel, appendix, and large bowel, including reflux
- Inguinal, femoral, ventral/incisional, diaphragmatic, and other hernias
His fellowship training as a general surgery specialist has prepared Dr. Scarritt to offer laparoscopic surgery and robotic techniques when treating GI and hernia issues.
- Undergraduate education: Georgetown University (Magna Cum Laude)
- Medical school: University of South Alabama
- Residency: General Surgery – University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- American College of Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons